Arkansas City Traveler
AUGUST 28, 1879.
Large numbers of our citizens walked up to the railroad last Sunday. About twenty hands are employed on the railroad bridge, and are pushing it along right lively. A large number of railroaders were in town Tuesday and the number of plain drunks were quite numerous. There are some men in town who think that they can afford to wet their whistles fifteen or twenty times a day, consequently the flourishing condition of our wet-goods houses. The track is laid to Schwantes' creek, about 24 miles from town, and the cut is being made through the bluff west of town. Thirty days more will anchor the iron horse at "Winfield station."
Why don't someone take hold and work up an excursion when the road gets in. The iron horse is within about three miles of town, and if we are going to have a grand blow-out, it is about time to start the thing along. Let us "excurst."
[WALNUT VALLEY FAIR.]
SEPTEMBER 18, 1879.
Walnut Valley Fair
Opens at Winfield Fair Grounds on Sept. 30, '79,
Grand Railroad Excursion.
The Cowley, Sumner and Fort Smith railroad will bring in large excusion trains loaded with visitors to celebrate the opening of their road to Winfield.
A GRAND BARBECUE
will be given on the fair grounds on that day, free to the immense crowd that is expected. Toasts and speeches will be in order. Complete arrangements have been made to insure complete success and general enjoyment. Each day of the five days of the fair will have special attractions in trials of speed and in various other ways. On Thursday, the fourth day of the fair,
GOVERNOR J. P. ST. JOHN
will deliver the occasional address. One of the attractions of the occasion will be the
It will be the largest baloon in the world, sixty-five feet in diameter and ninety feet in height. It is secured at a very large expense, and the proprietor will come with it from Chicago and superintend the ascension. The day is not yet definitely fixed, but probably Tuesday or Wednesday. It will certainly come off one day of the fair. The officers and managers have worked faithfully, and have left nothing undone to make this fair the grandest affair that ever come off in the
Let everybody turn out and have a grand old time. Arrangements will be made if possible for a free excursion from the fair grounds to Wichita and return on the same day during the fair, possibly Tuesday or Wednesday.
SEPTEMBER 25, 1879.
Go to the foundry and see the new steamboat.
The depot is entirely finished and is a very neat and convenient building.
Terrill & Ferguson will run a four-horse omnibus during the fair.
There will be an extra excursion train from Newton on the 30th, bringing the leading men of that burg to attend our grand jubilee.
The bus now makes daily trips to the train, just across the river, and the trip to Wichita is made without much difficulty.
Something less than a thousand people visited the railroad last Sunday. The sight of the locomotive seemed to fully repay them for their trouble.
The excursion from Wichita and Wellington to the opening of our fair promises to be an immense affair. The railroad people are bound to bring all who wish to come, if it takes three locomotives to haul them.
Some gentleman from the north part of the state is building a small steamboat for the Walnut, which he intends to run between here and Arkansas City when the water isn't too low. He proposes lifting the boat over the dams with a windlass. The hull is already built, and is thirty feet long and six feet beam. It will be a "side-wheeler," and will be propelled by a Paine engine of three horsepower. We hope he will succeed with his enterprise, and are quite certain that he will find enough pleasure-seekers to make it a paying investment.
We had the pleasure of a ride with J. H. Landon, who handles engine No. 22 with a skill and grace that declares him a master hand at the business. We rode up as far as the "switch," and took dinner with the train boys, after which we were landed at the front in a very short space of time. Mr. Landon and his fireman, Frank Hathaway, did everything in their power to make our ride as pleasant as possible, and we mentally averred that if all the employees of the A. T. & S. F. were as polite and obliging as Messrs. Landon and Hathaway, they would soon become popular with the traveling public.
[NOTICE OF WALNUT VALLEY FAIR]
SEPTEMBER 25, 1879.
WALNUT VALLEY FAIR
Opens at Winfield Fair Grounds on Sept. 30, '79,
With a Grand Railroad Excursion.
Winfield to have the Biggest Time Ever Known in the Annals of Cowley Co.
The City Authorities of Wichita, Wellington, Arkansas City, and other points, will be present.
GRAND MILITARY DRILL BY THE 15TH CO., K. S. M., OF WICHITA, AT 11 A.M.
Excursion for the Cowley County People Leaves at 12:30 P.M., Goes to Mulvane and Returns at 4 o'clock P.M.
The committee appointed to make arrangements for the reception of the excursionists next Tuesday, met at the council chamber, Monday. The following is the programme decided upon.
Excursion Trains start at 8 a.m. from Wichita and Wellington, arriving at Winfield at 10 a.m.
Excursion Train for Winfield and Cowley County starts at 12:30 p.m., going to Mulvane and back, arriving at Winfield at 4:30 p.m.
Return Trains to Wichita and Wellington leave Winfield at 5 p.m.
Carriages will be furnished at the depot to carry excursionists to any part of the City or Fair Grounds as desired.
A committee upon the down train will sell Fair tickets and distribute carriage tickets to excursionists.
A FREE BARBECUE DINNER.
At the Fair ground at 12 m.
GRAND MILITARY DRILL.
By 15th Co., K. S. M., of Wichita, in full uniformCcommanded by Captain L. N. Woodcock, at 11 a.m.
Will form at Depot and march through the principal streets of the city, and thence to Fair ground.
ORDER OF MARCH:
1. Military Band.
2. Military Company.
3. Wichita Fire Department.
4. Saxe Horrn Band.
5. Mayors and Councilmen of Wichita, Wellington,
Arkansas City, and Winfield in carriages.
6. Railroad Officials in carriages.
7. Foreign excursionists in carriages.
8. Citizens of Cowley county in conveyances.
By Hon. J. Wade McDonald, at 10:45 a.m.
MARSHAL OF THE DAY,
Gen. A. H. Green.
By order of the Executive Com.,
M. G. TROUP, Chairman.
E. C. MANNING, Secretary.
[OUR JUBILEE: TWO EXCURSION TRAINS LOADED DOWN WITH PEOPLE.]
OCTOBER 2, 1879.
Sedgwick and Sumner Counties Enthuse With Us.
Tuesday was a day long to be remembered by our citizens. Long before the time advertised for the arrival of the excursion train, the ground around the depot was crowded with Cowley's people waiting to welcome the people of Sumner and Sedgwick who were coming to celebrate with us the completion of our first railroad. The city officials were there marshaling their committees to take charge of the ladies, every available vehicle in town being pressed into service to accommodate them. All were on the tip-toe of expectation when the news flashed over the wires that the Wichita train had passed Mulvane, and that there were four hundred ladies and twelve hundred men on board, with the Wellington train just behind with as many more. Then it was that our people realized the full extent of the inundation about to take place. Arrangements had been made to accommodate about five hundred people, but when they began to drop down on us one and two thousand at a time, all these arrangements were upset, and a majority of the people had to get off the train and make their way to town the best way they could.
The procession was formed at the depot, headed by the Wichita Guards and the Wichita Fire Company, followed by a carriage containing the orator of the day, then the city authorities of Wichita, Wellington, and Winfield, followed by the Wichita cornet band and ladies in carriages. The procession was fully a mile long. At the grounds Judge McDonald delivered a speech of welcome, which was highly spoken of by all who heard it, and fully sustained the high reputation which he has won as an orator.
After the speech the crowd dispersed for dinner. A table had been prepared for the militia and fire company, and the crowd repaired to the barbecue, where there was plenty for all. After dinner there was a grand drill by the Wichita Guards under Capt. Woodcock, who acquitted themselves nobly. The dance in the evening, for the benefit of our visitors (?) was well attended, a good many of the Wichita people being present by virtue of an invitation issued by the ball committee that their "uniforms would be their passports," but which proved to be a pretext for making a dollar a piece out of them. With the exception of the ball, and the change in the time of starting the Cowley county excursion train, everything passed off splendidly.
We are sorry that our space does not admit of a more ex-tended account of all that transpired. The crowd from Wichita and Wellington was estimated at four thousand.
From Winfield to Wellington.
Last Sunday our local received an invitation from Engineer Archer, who runs engine No. 22, to accompany him on a trip to Wellington. Having never visited that town, and desiring to ride over the new road, we accepted the invitation; and at 1 o'clock the whistle sounded "off breaks" and we pulled out for Mulvane. The rain was pouring down steadily, and the iron horse groaned, puffed, and snizzled as if trying to express its disgust of the weather and everything connected with the trip. Seated beside Engineer Archer, with the cab windows drawn down, and our coat buttoned close around us, the novelty of the situation rather heightened, then diminished, our enjoyment of the ride.
The track from Winfield to Mulvane is a good deal like the Dutchman's description of the Allegheny mountains, "up a leedle and down some more," twisting and winding around, with several heavy cuts and fills and numerous culverts. There are several large fields of wheat along the line, which are up and looking well. At Mulvane the engine, which had been going up tail end foremost, was turned around and headed for Wellington, where we arrived about 3 o'clock. The town has a live appearance and is building up rapidly, although the buildings are mostly frame and rather small.
We left Wellington at seven minutes past four. The rain having ceased, the cab windows were thrown open and we had a fair view of the country through which the road runs. The prairie stretching away in the distance, dotted here and there with fields of green wheat, and fine farms with good, substantial buildings enclosed by miles of hedge fence, line the track on either side.
We were almost led to believe, by the evidence of thrift and enterprise passing before us that we were in Cowley instead of Sumner county. The track from Mulvane to Wellington, 28 miles, has only three curves and one grade, four miles long, of 45 feet to the mile. With the exception of this grade, which takes the road from the Arkansas valley to the highlands, the track is nearly level.
Mulvane has a thriving appearance, several new houses being in process of erection, among them a good-sized hotel. As yet no depot has been built, but we learned from Mr. Row, superintendent of construction, that one would be built there soon.
Our passage through Belle Plaine was so rapid that we only obtained a passing glance at the town. Several buildings are going up near the depot, and a general air of activity is noticeable. After turning around at Mulvane on a contrivance which the railroad men called a "Y," and which is made by a circular track from the "Wellington branch" across to the main line, we started homeward. After turning the curve coming down to the bridge, the engine ran afoul of a handcar which had been put on the track by some mischievous boys, who left on hearing the approach of the engine. Had it been dark the engine would undoubtedly have been ditched; and was only just stopped in time to avert the catastrophe. We arrived at the depot in Winfield about 6 o'clock, in a condition which may be described as "Sherman's luck," having traveled one hundred miles and seen more good country and fine farms than we had ever seen before in the same length of time.
OCTOBER 9, 1879.
A large feed stable has been erected near the depot.
A. T. Spotswood shipped the first carload of groceries over the new road.
Brotherton & Silver shipped the first car-load of wheat ever taken out of Cowley county by rail.
Mr. R. D. Jillson has accepted a position as assistant freight agent for the A., T. & S. F. at this place.
Mr. Williams has part of the brick on the ground for a forty-foot addition to his hotel.
Mr. Hitchcock has bout finished the repairs to the old Tarrant building. It will make a good store-room.
The S. K. & W. railroad bridge across the Walnut is being pushed forward. It will be 200 feet long, set on three piers.
Terrill & Ferguson's bus did a rushing business during the fair. They also have a large majority of the train business.
Council Myton is making arrangements to build a forty-foot addition to his hardware building. It will be of stone and will fill up the lot.
S. H. Myton paid freight bills one day last week amounting to over six hundred dollars, and it wasn't a very good day for Sam., either. Square dealing always wins.
On the 10th, tomorrow, we expect the mails will commence to be carried by railroad. This will give us communications with the outer world practically one day earlier than heretofore.
D. L. Kretsinger has remounted the local tripod of the Telegram. Krets is a good writer, a genial, whole-souled fellow, and we are glad to see him come back into the fold.
Our efficient city attorney, O. M. Seward, has returned from Iowa, where he has been for some weeks, having been called away by the death of his mother.
Chief of Police Roberts had the hardest job of any at the fair, that of keeping order and clearing the track. He did his duty in a manner that won high words of praise from most of the peaceable citizens who visited the fair.
Capt. C. M. Scott, with his Indians, was the center of attraction last Friday. C. M. has the thanks of the association as well as the people, for using his influence in getting them here.
Capt. Dick Walker laid aside the duties of the land office long enough to run down and attend our fair last Saturday. When you see the toe of a number fourteen boot coming around the corner, you may make up your mind that Dick will be along
Mr. Stiles, the gentlemanly agent of the Adams express company, has a local advertisement in this paper. He promises express at more reasonable rates than we have been getting heretofore. Their office is in the building next to Shoeb's blacksmith shop.
AD: ADAMS EXPRESS CO.
THE ADAMS EXPRESS CO., having opened for business in Winfield, are now prepared to do Express business with greater dispatch, and at lower rates than was evern known in Winfield.
All matter entrusted to the Company's care will receive prompt attention.
Goods delivered anywhere in the City limits.
Office on Ninth Avenue, 4 doors west of Winfield Bank.
October 9, 1879. C. F. STILES.
"Yellow Bull," second chief of the Nez Perces, visited the fair on Friday, accompanied by Capt. C. M. Scott and Capt. Chapman, who interpreted his speech, which lasted about ten minutes and was very good. Capt. Chapman was chief of Howard's Indian and white scouts and talks the Indian language fluently.
The contest between the ladies for the premium for the best lady rider was quite spirited. The contestants were Misses Etta Johnson, Iowa Roberts, Gertrude Davis, Ella Kelly, and Mrs. Laura Crawford. Miss Johnson won the blue ribbon and Miss Kelly the red.
The noted outlaw and desperado, Jim Barker, who with his band has been a terror to the border for some months, was captured by a posse of men near Cody's Bluff in the Territory on the 25th of September, and has since died of wounds received at the time. He was chief of the gang which robbed Caneyville, and his party murdered Captain Secrist and his comrades in the nation.
The races during the fair were very lively, many good horses being on the track. Those during the last day were by far the best. The big trotting race was won by "Wichita Charley." These were the fairest races ever run on the track, and every semblance of fraud was condemned by the judges. Although exceptions were taken to some of their decisions by the jockeys present, the majority of the people sustained them in their rulings.
A large party of invited guests assembled at the residence of Mr. C. A. Bliss, last Friday evening, to pay their respects to Governor St. John. The party, numbering thirty-seven, were entertained right royally by the obliging hostess, and everything passed off "as merry as a marriage bell." After partaking of a splendid supper, the party spent a couple of hours in conversation and music, when they dispersed. Gov. St. John has made many warm friends in our community during his several flying visits here, all of whom delight to do him honor.
While a lady was driving to town on the road past the depot Monday evening, her horse fell through the culvert opposite Lowry's ice house, injuring him severely and breaking the buggy in several places. The lady had driven across this bridge earlier in the evening, and noticed while crossing that it was in rather a bad condition. When she returned she concluded to lead the horse across, but when partly over it stepped on the end of a loose board and went down. The cries of the lady brought several men to the spot, who tore away the timbers and released the animal. Someone should look after this matter or the township may have a heavy bill of damages to pay. Twenty-five dollars spent in repairs might save five hundred for damages.
OCTOBER 9, 1879.
On Sunday, September 28th, at Pleasant Grove school house, by Rev. P. B. Lee, Mr. William D. Stoddard and Miss Lora
At Dexter, Cowley county, Kansas, on Sept. 30, 1879, by Rev. Mr. Rose, Rev. John H. McKee and Mrs. Bertha T. Black, of Dexter.
At Mulvane, Sept. 28th, 1879, by the Rev. J. R. McQuown, Mr. James L. Brown and Miss Millie B. Cheatham.
[THE GOVERNOR'S VISIT.]
OCTOBER 9, 1879.
A very large crowd gathered on the fair ground last Friday to hear Gov. St. John speak. The officers of the association had announced that he would be here on Thursday, but he was taken ill on the road and telegraphed that he could not get here until Friday. He spoke from the judge's stand, and was listened to with eager attention by the sea of faces around him. His speech was full of good points, and contained some advice in regard to small farming and machinery. In the evening he was tendered a social reception at the residence of C. A. Bliss.
OCTOBER 9, 1879.
Last Saturday ended the most successful fair ever held in Cowley county. The display, especially of blooded stock, was large, and shows that our people are awake to the advantage of well-bred over common scrub stock. We hope this may result in rooting out the old scrubby breeds that are so numerous at present.
The department alloted to
was well filled. The thoroughbred Devonshire bull, "Red Bird," owned by Mr. James W. Hunt, attracted much attention, and was truly a fine animal. He carried several premiums, for best thoroughbred bull and sweepstakes. Mr. Ezra Meech's herd of thoroughbred Jerseys were admired by all. The were the only ones of that breed on the ground, and were not entered.
The herd of Durhams owned by Mr. Heath received much notice from stock men, and were ceartainly a fine lot of cattle. They carried two premiums.
The three Short Horn cows and calves, owned by N. J. Thompson, showed many fine points, and carried the blue ribbon.
The premium three-year-old bull, graded Durham, owned by Mr. Limbocker, was without doubt the finest three-year-old on the ground.
Marsh & Lee's herd of thoroughbreds received much notice and were decorated with both red and blue ribbons. These gentlemen are old stock men and are bound to raise good stock or none at all.
Mr. Millard, of Silverdale township, exhibited two of his thoroughbred Devonshires, one of which carried the blue ribbon. Mr. Millard has long ago learned the superiority of well-bred over common stock, and is now raising some of the best calves that can be found anywhere.
Perhaps the largest and best herd of thoroughbreds in the county, owned by Mr. C. C. Pierce, of Pleasant Valley township, was exhibited here. His thoroughbred bull, "Julian," 27 months old and weighing 1250 pounds, was the envy of all the lovers of fine stock on the grounds. His grand-sire, the third Duke of Oneida, was sold at the Utica mills sale for $12,000. He is, perhaps, the most thoroughbred of any bull in the southwest.
The display of
was not as good as was expected, as many of the largest sheep raisers in the county did not exhibit.
The exhibit of J. A. Hood, of Graded Cotswolds, was very good. He took 1st and 2nd premium on best buck lamb, under one year, 1st premium on best ewes one year and over, and 1st premium on best lambs under one year. He says his flock, in fleece and increase, have netted him $4.50 per head for the last year. He is strongly in favor of coarse wooled sheep.
Mr. J. W. Thomas, of Tisdale, exhibited several of his flock of Merinos, of the celebrated Hammond stock. He sheared last spring 50 bucks that averaged 20-1/2 pounds per head, and sold the wool for 19 cents per pound.
Mr. M. N. Chaffee, who owns a flock of 900 of the common breed, exhibited several specimens. He was not present at the time we visited this department.
Several fine Merinos were exhibited by Mr. Raymond, of Knox county, Ohio, who has recently located in our county, and intends to deal exclusively in sheep and wool. He has a flock of 500 thoroughbred Merinos, and is decidedly in favor of fine wooled sheep.
Mr. Meech exhibited several of his Merinos, and carried off two premiums. He recently sold from his flock over twenty thoroughbred bucks, which will be scattered throughout the county.
The competition for premiums in this department was very lively. The display was so large and the different crosses so near alike, that it was difficult for the judges to decide which was better than the other.
The exhibit of Mr. S. S. Holloway, of Berkshire and Poland China, crossed, was very fine, and received much notice. He has taken great pains in the selection and crosses of the different breeds, and has a good lot of hogs.
The thoroughbred Poland China boar, owned by Mr. Wood, carried a whole tail full of blue ribbons, and was a magnificent hog.
Mr. N. F. Wright exhibited several of his thoroughbred Berkshire hogs, which were considered the finest lot there. One boar, 11 months old, and weighing 300 pounds, with not enough hair on his skin to make a tooth brush, attracted as much attention as any hog on the grounds, hardly excepting the 1010 pound hog belonging to Mr. W. J. Hodges.
Mr. C. C. Pierce also exhibited several of his fine Poland China hogs, of which breed he has the best in the county.
The display of horses was first-class. At the time we visited this department, a great many of the exhibitors were absent attending the races, and we did not get a full report of all the stock.
The yearling colt, exhibited by Mr. Jas. M. Marshall, was undoubtedly the finest animal of his age on the grounds. He was one year old the 15th of June, weighs 1040 pounds, and is Norman and Messenger. He carried off two premiums.
Mr. C. G. Handy, of Tisdale, exhibited a colt five months old, weighing 578 pounds, Norman and Messenger, which was a perfect beauty.
Mr. Treadway also exhibited a five months cold, graded Norman, weighing 510 pounds. It took a red ribbon.
The graded Norman colt, owned by Mr. Furman, attracted much notice, and is a promising animal.
Mr. Joel Mack exhibited a two-year-old colt, which had many fine points.
Mr. Stout, of Richland, also exhibited a two-year-old mare, and carried off two premiums.
Several colts exhibited by Mr. Chas. Eastman, were universally admired, and were as promising colts as we saw on the grounds.
J. L. Johnson, of Maple City, had one of the best mule colts that we ever saw. It was one year old, and weighed 780 pounds. It carried a blue ribbon.
Mr. Hurst exhibited a splendid stallion, which was the center of attraction for horsemen. It took the first premium in the sweepstakes ring.
There were a large number of horses exhibited, whose owners we did not see. Altogether the display in this department was very fine.
This department was well filled. The coops which the association had prepared for the accommodation of the exhibitors, were filled to overflowing, and boxes of every description were brought into use.
One coop of Buff Cochins deserve special mention, and were admired by all who saw them. There were also several choice specimens of Dark Brahmas, Golden Pheasants, and Pekin ducks. We think the display in this department was as fine as any we have seen.
was resplendent with needle work, etc. Quilts worked in all the colors of the rainbow, matts, "log cabins," (at least, that's what they called them) and everything that feminine ingenuity could devise, or deft fingers execute. The delicious bread and butter, jellies, cakes, and preserve looked very tempting, and it was with the greatest reluctance that we passed on to look at the giant pumpkins, and elphantine sweet potatoes in the next room. The display of vegetables, field and garden seeds, etc., was rather limited from some cause or other. Mrs. T. A. Wilkinson's preserved fruits and vegetables attracted much notice.
The display of
made by Mr. T. A. Wilkinson, was the biggest thing in the grove. He is agent for the renowned Estey organ, three of which instruments he had on the ground, and also a splendid Mathushek piano, the whole presided over by Miss De Grass, lately from Milwaukee, and who is one of the most accomplished musicians it has ever been our fortune to hear. Large crowds were entertained by the music from these instruments.
Taken all in all, the fair has been a grand success, and our people may well feel proud of the display. Messrs. Bacon, Kinne, Burden, and other officers of the association have worked unremittingly to place it upon a solid foundation, and deserve much credit for their labors.
[FIRST TRAIN TO WINFIELD.]
OCTOBER 16, 1879.
"Major Cohen was on the first train that entered Winfield on their new road, and takes a great deal of pride in telling of the vast concourse of people, a brass band and a four-horse omnibus that were in waiting for them at the station, for besides the train men, he was the only passenger on board."CMonitor.
Cohen must have been drunk. Had he been sober, we think we should have recognized him. We came down on that first train. But few people were at the Winfield depot waiting for the train, but there were two omnibuses and other carriages, which were quickly filled with passengers and driven uptown.
We were pleased to meet Mr. Geo. Hackney, superintendent of motive power on the A., T. & S. F. road last week. He, in company with other officials of the road, came down on a special train to examine the new road.
The County Commissioners on Monday delivered to Joab Mulvane, the first installment of bonds due the C. S. & F. S. railroad company, amounting to seventy-two thousand dollars, and received in exchange therefor seventy-two shares, of one thousand dollars each, of capital stock of that road.
Charlie Clayton tells the following story illustrative of the crowded state of the Winfield hotels during the fair, and as the story is reasonable, "we take it in" without a murmur. A couple of regular lodgers at the Olds House were out rather late one evening, and when they came in, found a couple of transients occupying their bed sleeping as soundly as a log while every nook and corner in the hotel large enough to lie down in was filled. The regular lodgers were not to be cheated out of their sleeping facilities in that way, so they stood the two transients up in one corner of the room and went to bed in their places. When they woke in the morning, the transients were still standing asleep, but soon awoke and remarked that it had become colder during the night.
[PECULIAR LETTER WRITTEN TO THE EDITOR.]
OCTOBER 16, 1879.
ED. COURIER: In my saunterings about your beautiful little city, during the past few days, certain things have come under my observation, which I furnish herewith. Give them to the "comp." or the waste-basket, as you please.
Stencil-plate sign-writing, in a town where so much printing can be had for so little money as here in Winfield, does not speak well for the enterprise of the parties who use that style of advertising. "Oysters stued and fride" graces the front of a new restaurant on Main street. We takes our "wraugh!"
On dit, that a wedding in high-life is on the tapis, and the time draweth nigh when the bridegroom cometh.
Apropros of the above, it is said that certain of the fancy things which carried away first premiums at the late fair were part and parcel of the bridal trosseau. Pretty enough, they certainly were.
Talking about the fair, how is it that three or four individuals received first premiums on the same kind of stock or article? Has "somebody blundered," or is it a sort of mutual-admiration society?
And how is it that a foreign newspaper office is allowed to compete with the home offices on printing? Is not this doing our friends of the Telegram an injustice?
And who is responsible for the wholesale gambling carried on, night and day, on the fair grounds?
But there were so many mysterious things connected with the fair that I refrain from asking any more conundrums, but will fling in just one interrogation point in a matter in which everybody is interested. Would it not be well to arrange a railing at the post office general delivery, in such manner that persons could approach the window only one at a time and in regular turn? It is very annoying to a lady, or a modest man, after having waited ten or fifteen minutes, until the crowd begins to thin out, to have a fresh influx of saucy boys and men crowd to the front, without as much as "by your leave," or "d__n your soul," or "any other bit of politeness."
I am pleased to see the placards announcing the Emma Leland Theatrical Combination. I speak by the card when I say this is a fairly-good company and worthy of patronage.
A gentleman from the cast remarked in our hearing, on the fair ground, that a better-looking or better-dressed crowd could not be convened in any agricultural community in the States, than was there assembled.
The success of the "fakirs," in the various gambling schemes licensed by the managers of the fair, demonstrates the unwelcome fact that there are just as many "suckers" to the square rod here in Winfield as any place else.
I notice the little subterranean daily is dealing sledge-hammer blows at that glaring nuisance, the Saturday street auction. But the Telegram has not yet struck at the root of the matter. Not only is the institution a nuisance, by reason of the uproar and obstruction of the streets, but it is an unmitigated swindle, as well; a mock-auction, in fact, in which the purchaser, and not the article, is the thing sold. Frequently a single animal is put up and sold (?) as many as five times in one day. I do not know that all the auctioneers have adopted the "by-bidding" tactics, but until positive assurance to the
contrary is given, I would advise your readers to make their purchases elsewhere.
Next Sunday services will be held at the little Catholic church, on 8th avenue, at the regular hours. The services are interesting, and you will be welcome. Father Kelly, of Topeka, the new priest, is expected to officiate.
I tumbled against an itinerant spectacle-pedlar, on one of the back streets, who knew more (I took his word for it) than all the opticians since the time of Galileo. Good people, there are men of honor doing business in Winfield, who handle such articles, and who, you may be confidentCif they do not know much about the goods, or how to fit themCwill not swindle you any quicker than would a stranger, and whom you know where to find if they do.
The keno room is apparently doing a fine business. The medical, legal, and literary talent, as well as the bone and sinew of the city, is well represented at its nightly sittings, and the cry of "Stop her!" "Hold her!" etc., alternates regularly with the monotonous 4C11C44 of the caller. As this institution of learning is only tolerated by the city authorities for the sake of the money they expect to get from it in the way of licenses, fines, and costs (as is claimed with the saloon nuisance), I would suggest that it is about time they were "run in" again.
Curious, isn't it? That men and women who have lived in towns all their lives have not learned to "keep to the right?" It is not only amusing, but ludicrous, and sometimes ridiculous to see handsomely-dressed ladies and gentlemen, bowing and scraping and dodging to avoid collision, simply because they failed to observe this simple rule, "Keep to the right." A good rule in politics and religion, as well as in walking and driving.
By the way, can you or anyone tell what imp of discomfort prompted the city fathers to construct such narrow walks at many of the street-crossings? Either a fellow or his girl must go in the mud these dark nights. The idea of Indian file is preposterous.
Hand-bills are out for a birthday "fizz" in honor of one of our enterprisng merchants, on Thursday evening. Of course, it will be one of the most "rechurchy" affairs of the season. (They always are, you know.) We should like to go, but fear we shall not be able to attend for several reasons.
Girls are a sine qua non, and we have no girl.
[REPORT FROM "OCCASINAL" - VERNON.]
OCTOBER 23, 1879.
A fish out of water soon dies, and me thinks an individual possessing literary inclinations is out of his element unless permitted to write when the spirt moves him. Belonging to the class of mortals termed "quillists," you need not be surprised if we occasionally enter your sanctum sanctorum in spirit if not in person, to chat awhile through the medium of a faithful pen. And if, as time rolls along, our acquaintance with the COURIER proves beneficial and pleasant as that of other columns we might speak of, we shall be happier as well as wiser for having known each other.
While many heroic souls first set foot upon Kansas soil when the red men were to be fearedCgrasshoppers viewedClands broken up and hardships of various kinds endured,Cit was ours to enter Winfield for the first time on its great day of Sept. 30, when she welcomed not only her incoming railroad, but the thousands of neighbors who flocked into her streets with hearty smiles that seemed to say, "O Cowley county, live forever!"
There are people in the older states who have listened so long to the tune of "bleeding Kansas" that they fear to leave familiar scenes, and tarry where they own no land, and at present prices never can who, were they to get one view of Winfield and adjacent country, would do as did the gold hunters of earlier days, bleed and sweat for homes in this promising locality. Were they to come, doubtless they would unite with us in saying there is more business transacted upon your streets in one day than is seen in a week in eastern cities of even greater magnitude, and that industry is the goddess whose wand is to beautify and enrich Kansas until she will rank second to none as a state where prosperity and plenty reign.CSurely "now is the accepted time" when all those who are able to do so, should purchase a home before these broad acres advance in price.
If there are those who think people here engage in naught save hard labor, let them have a bird's-eye view of this and surrounding neighborhoods. The week of the Fair we saw so many people we were almost inclined to believe that some densely-populated country like China, for instance, had emptied her humanity into our borders, but upon close examination exclaimed, in the language of Paul, "We also are men of like passions with you," and pronounced them western pioneers of the better class. We found the Floral department well represented, and many kinds of work beautifully executed. Upon the whole it was good.
The show was patronized extensively judging from the numbers who were bound for town that day. "Such is life."
[ACCOUNT OF THE LATE FAIR HAS ERRORS..."CHARLEY" OF SILVER CREEK]
OCTOBER 23, 1879.
In looking over your account of the late fair, I notice some mistakes in regard to townships, and as we know you to be just and honest and always willing to give honor to whom honor is due, I take the liberty of calling your attention to them.
The two Devonshire calves exhibited by H. S. Millard, belong in Silver Creek instead of Silverdale, as did also the fine colt belonging to Mr. John Stout.
The 1,010 pound hog was also raised by Mr. Stout, of this township.
Please give us a fair start and we will try and keep up with the rest of them.
Daniel Kempton is building a new house.
Lake Coe is building on the school section.
Mr. Spane is blasting a well; and in fact, everybody is busy minding their own business.
Winfield Courier, October 23, 1879.
Mr. J. C. Fuller has completed the plans for his new barn, which will be 30 x 30, in the most modern style of architecture, and fitted up with a special idea for convenience. It is to be lighted with gas.
W. A. Lee started Monday morning on the 3:30 train for Kansas City where he expects to purchase a car load of Moline wagons, and make arrangements for an immense stock of implements for the spring trade.
Col. Manning, E. P. Kinne, and J. W. Curns on Monday began "throwing dirt" for his new brick building on North Main street opposite the Winfield House. It will be of brick, 75 x 60, and will be an ornament to that part of the city.
Last Saturday over six thousand bushels of wheat were shipped from Winfield, and the price paid for the same was from 92 to 99 cents per bushel. This makes about $5,700 paid to our farmers in one day. Not so bad for a nine-year-old.
A military outfitter from Chicago was in town last Tuesday, accompanied by Lieutenant Richey, of the Wichita Guards. They came down to see about furnishing the uniforms for the Winfield Rifles. The boys have not yet decided what uniforms they will get.
Mr. J. A. Evans, from Muscatine, Iowa, has been in the city several days, making steroscopic views of the principal spots about town. His views are remarkably clear cut and are a literal representation of the handsomest scenes around Winfield.
Nearly seven thousand school children in Cowley county, July 31st, an increase of about one thousand over the year '77 and '78.
[CHANGE OF MAIL SERVICE.]
OCTOBER 30, 1879.
The postmaster at Winfield is notified by the Department that the mails from Wichita and the East will be delivered at this office by the railroad on and after the 15th of November. The Stage company will then carry the mail between Winfield and Arkansas City; and Oxford will be supplied direct from Winfield.
The mails will close at 7-1/2 o'clock, p.m., and will be distributed ready for delivery at 7-1/2 a.m.
The postmaster desires to call the attention of the patrons of this office to the fact that the hours for attending to Money Order and registry business are from 8 o'clock, a.m., to 4 o'clock, p.m., and while he is desirous to accommodate at other hours, when possible, it occasions him a large amount of extra work by disarranging the balances of the day in the same manner it would the work of a bank.
[ANOTHER PASSENGER TRAIN.]
NOVEMBER 20, 1879.
Notwithstanding the very slow time made, it seems that more passengers come to and leave Winfield on the freight trains, which leave about noon and arrive between 5 and 6 o'clock, p.m., than come and go on the regular passenger and express trains. Some intimations have been heard of an intention of the railway company to put on another fast train each way daily to accommodate this travel.
To persons who wish to visit Kansas City and places further east, the present passenger trains are exactly what is wanted, for these trains connect with the trains on the roads further east, but for persons who wish to go to any other part of this state, a train which should leave and arrive 12 hours earlier and 12 hours later, and make the same time, would save much time and money. Knowing well the energy and enterprise of the managers of the Santa Fe railroad, we could readily believe that this improvement will be effected in a reasonable time.
[ANNUAL SCHOOL REPORTS.]
NOVEMBER 27, 1879.
The annual report of the schools of Cowley county has reached the State Department. County Superintendent Story exhibits much care in the compilation of his reports and they are always very accurate as to facts, and neat in workmanship.
This report announces the school population of Cowley county at the close of the year ending July 31st, to be 6,779, being an increase over the figures given last year of 1,098. Cowley County ranks number six in point of population in the State, having passed all competitors except Leavenworth, Shawnee, Atchison, Douglas, and Labette. Her schools are in a flourishing condition, having maintained over one hundred schools during the year at a cost of $25,614. Tb. Com.
DECEMBER 4, 1879.
Agent Garvey and his assistants are overrun with business.
Over fifteen cars of freight were received at Winfield station, Saturday. This makes things very lively for the freightmen.
The company have just finished a new tool-house, near the depot. A paying investment, considering the number of unprotected tools in and around that place.
The water tank is at last finished, and is a magnificent one; the water being forced from the river, a distance of over 200 yards, into the tank.
The increased business of the road necessitates the putting down of more side-track, and a force are now employed on that work.
The ticket office has just been furnished with a handsome coupon ticket case, and travelers can now purchase through tickets to any part of the U. S., at the Winfield station.
As a proof of the immense business being done by the
A., T. & S. F. Co. at this place, 45 car-loads of freight were sent out last Saturday. Twenty of the cars were loaded with wheat, and twenty-five with hogs. This isn't such a bad business for a whistling station.
Business in and around the depot Monday was exceedingly lively. Over 100 cars were standing on side-tracks, most of them receiving or discharging freight, while the cries and bustle of the freightmen, draymen, and roustabouts helped to make the scene one of general activity.
Track-laying on the extension to Arkansas City has commenced, and Monday afternoon the locomotive crossed the new bridge. The company have a very large force of men at work, and it is their intention to push the road right through to the city. At the present writing the track is laid a mile and a half beyond the bridge, with force enough to lay a mile per day.
The elevator of Messrs. Simpson & Fowler, near the depot, is almost completed. The hopper scales, with a capacity of 400 bushels, and a large patent dustless separator and grader, with a capacity of 600 bushels per hour, are being put in place. The side track has been put in by the railroad company, and everything is ready for operation as soon as the machinery can be placed in position.