About Us
Museum Membership
Event Schedule
Museum Newsletters
Museum Displays

Full Particulars about the Murder of H. H. Siverd

Winfield Daily Courier - October 26, 1893
Clip 8931126c


Full Particulars About the
Brutal Murder of Capt.
H. H. Siverd
The Murderers Spirited Away this
Morning by the Sheriff for
Safe Keeping
The Excitement Quieting Down
and the Law Will Be Allowed
to Take Its Course.
The Funeral
The brutal and cold blooded murder of Captain H. H. Siverd, yesterday afternoon while in the performance of his duty as an officer of the law, has created much indignation and sorrow in this city. All yesterday afternoon and last night the streets and the court house yard around the jail was thronged with excited people and it only needed a leader to have taken the murderers out of jail and strung them up. Cool heads and wise counsel prevailed and the law was left to take its course.


For some time past Captain Siverd has been actively engaged in prosecuting those engaged in the liquor traffic in this city, and in consequence has made some bitter enemies, and it is stated by some parties that his foul murder was a direct result of his fight against the liquor trade. About 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon Captain Siverd went into the joint of Frank Manny on North Main street and arrested Frank Thorp, Manny's cork-puller, upon a warrant issued by County Attorney Scott and took Thorp to the county jail. A short time before this Norton had made several gun plays in Manny's joint and threatened to shoot Marshal Douglass or any other officer who attempted to arrest him. After taking Thorp to the jail, Siverd returned to Main street and found Norton, Wright and Army Evans standing in front of Ed. Cole's drug store. Siverd walked up to Norton and placed him under arrest and started to Judge Ingman's office with him. Norton at once became abusive and refused to go and commenced to fight like a tiger to get away from the officer. Constable Siverd, who had a warm heart, hesitated about striking Norton and tried to get him to go along quitely. It soon became evident that Norton had made up his mind to create trouble and several by-standers offered their aid to assist in getting him under control. Norton, who is a very strong man, fought his way out of the crowd and succeded in knocking down several people before he was got under control. Finally Captain Siverd ordered the crowd to stand back and let him take Norton. George Sanderson had in the meantime persuaded young Norton to go with Siverd and the trouble was thought to be over. Norton and the officer hiked across Main street until they reached the corner of Main and Ninth avenue, directly in front of the Cowley County National Bank, when Morgan Wright, a pal of Norton's who had been following the crowd since the trouble commenced stepped forward and said, "you had better let him go." At this young Norton jumped back, and said "shoot the s-- of a b----." And young Wright aimed a 38 Harrington and Richardson revolver at Siverds heard and fired the


Striking Siverd a little over the heart and killing him instantly. The Captain clasped his hands against his side and partly turned around, instantly fell to the sidewalk a dead man, not having uttered a word after receiving the fatal shot. Immediately after the shooting Wright ran down the alley west of the Winfield National Bank with his smoking revolver in his hand being followed by a large crowd of people. As he was going through the alley he snapped the revolver at one of the colored employes of the St. James hotel and then ran on until he came to the paint shop of Reed & Oliver where he hid his gun and coat under the building and then went into the shop. In a few moments Marshal Douglas and Chas. Schmidt Jr. arrived and arrested Wright and started to the jail. On the way to the jail the marshal tried to hurry up Wright fearing that the citizens who were following him would lynch him but Wright said he be damned if would hurry, if they wanted to hang him let them do so. He was finally lodged safely in jail.

Young Norton ran down the alley east of the First National Bank and hid himself in the vault behind OsterHout's bakery and was captured by Assistant Marshall Archie Brown and the bookkeeper of the Wells Fargo Express Company. Norton was only to anxious to get to the jail as he feared that the excited people would string him up.

Sheriff Nipp was telegraphed and arrived on the evening train and took charge of the prisoners. During the evening many threats were made about lynching and the sheriff had ten men sworn in as deputies and the jail was guarded all night. About 2 o'clock this morning a crowd of men about fifty in number came to the jail, but did not attempt to enter and no violence was attempted last night. This morning County attorney Scott issued warrants charging Wright and Norton with murder in the first degree, but after the warrants had been served the sheriff thought it best for the safety of the prisoners to get them out of town. This morning at 7 o'clock Sheriff Nipp took the prisoners and put them in a boomer's wagon that was passing and started either for Wellington or Wichita to which destination the Courier does not know at the time of going to press.


The trouble which led to the murder of Captain Siverd was caused by his vigorous prosecution of the violators of the prohibitory laws. Marshal Douglass had tried to quiet young Norton and Deputy Sheriff Rothrock had also searched him, but they found no gun upon him. Norton had pulled a gun on some one in Manny's joint, but did hot have any when arrested. Morgan Wright had kept out of the way and did not show up until he fired the fatal shot. Captain Siverd stated to the writer of this that he feared tourble and that he was going to arrest Frank Thorp, who was running Manny's joint and that he understood that Norton and Wright had come in from Joplin, Missouri, and intended to do him up and also the business manager of this paper, and that he hoped that he could get Norton in jail before he made any trouble. Norton told Marshall Douglass that he wanted permission to carry a gun for he wanted to kill a s-- of a b----, that he was looking for. It is fortunate that our people did not do any act of violence last night for it is best to let the law take its course. Today everything has been quiet and oderly as all seem confident that the law will mete out the punishment the murders deserve.


Was born December 28th, 1840, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. He enlisted as a private in Co. H, 1st Ohio Infantry, April 17th, 1861 and was mustered out August 6th, 1861. He immediately reinlisted in Co. H 1st Ohio Cav, as a private and later, for gallantry on the field of battle, was promoted to sergeant major. Later, on Oct. XX, 1862, to that of a second lieutenant. April 1st, 186x to first lieutenant, and December 14th 1864 to captain. He was mustered out September 13th, 1865. Came to Winfield when the lamented Shenneman went into office the first time and as his jailor. Later was elected constable of this city, an office which he held ever since.

He was murdered while on duty and in the discharge thereof, and there is no law which can properly punish the villains. A. L. Shinneman, John F. Fulton and Huch H. Siverd, all dead, in the line of duty. Killed for loyalty to law, order and morality.


The funeral services will take place at the residence of Captain Siverd at 2 o'clock on Friday and will be under the immediate charge of the Grand Army of the Republec of the city of which he was commander.

Other Civic Societies will cooperate with the post in the burial services. The body will be taken from the house to the Baptist church of which he was member, where Rev Doctor Parker, his pastor, will preach the sermon, and it is his wish that all the Ministers of the city join with him. From there the remains will be conveyed to the Union Cemetery where they will be laid to rest in the burial lot of the Grand Army.

The pall bearers will be Sid Cure of the G. A. R.; A. B Arment of the G. A. R.; C. J. Peckham of the Masonic order; S. B. Sergeant of the Masonic order; T. H. Harrod of the Odd Fellows; J. H. Vance of the Odd Fellows; M. B. Light of the A. C. U. W.: J. VanDe Water of the A. O. U. W..

The line of march will be formed at the home as follows:
1st Doctor Parker and the other ministers.
2dn Hearse and pall bearers.
3rd. The Family,
4th. The G. A. R.,
5th, The Masons;
6th, The Odd Fellows;
7th, The A. O. U. W.;
8th, The county and city officers;
9th, The friends in carriages.

The line of march will be to the Baptist Church, which they will enter in the order herein named. Where they will remain standing until the time of going to the cemetery.

After the exercises are over, the congregation will pass out in the order named above. And after being duly formed, will then proceed to the cemetery, where the exercises will be concluded.

The Winfield Daily Courier, Thursday, October 26, 1893.

Old Soldiers.

You are requested to meet at the Grand Army Post rooms, corner of Main and 10th Avenue, Friday, at 1 o'clock, to take part in the burial of our late Post commander, Captain H. H. Siverd. Be prompt in your attendance and as far as possible come in uniform.

By order of the Post.

The Winfield Daily Courier, Thursday, October 26, 1893.

Sheriff Nipp returned from the Territory last evening, and took charge of Norton and Wright, the murderers of Captain Siverd.

The Winfield Daily Courier, Thursday, October 26, 1893.


As marshal of the city of Winfield, allow me to thank the citizens for the respect shown me by dispersing to their homes at my request and under the most trying circumstances. For 15 years Comrade Siverd has always voted aye to enforce the laws; and I know I only echoed his wish when I did the same yesterday and only myself knows how hard it was to do so. May the citizens of this town ever be as prompt in the future, is my prayer.

J. D. DOUGLASS, Marshal.

The Winfield Daily Courier, Thursday, October 26, 1893.

Mayor's Notes.

One of our purest and best citizens and officers is no more. Captain Siverd is dead. His funeral will take place at 2 o'clock p. m. tomorrow, and I earnestly request all banks, stores, and other places of business in this city to close from 2 to 4 and attend his funeral tomorrow out of respect to his memory.

A. C. BANGS, Mayor.

The Winfield Daily Courier, Thursday, October 26, 1893.

G. A. R. Post.

Winfield Post, No. 85, and all members of the G. A. R. will meet at post room, Friday, October 27, at 1 p.m. to attend the funeral of our commander, H. H. Siverd. Let no G. A. R.

man fail to be there at the appointed hourr. A. B. ARMENT, Adjt.; D. KEIR, S. P.

Cowley County Historical Society Museum